Download slides: Nigeria in 2020: Mega-tests for the economy and security
These audio and slides are from ‘Nigeria in 2020: Mega-tests for the economy and security’ which was an hour long briefing by Patrick Smith and Stuart Culverhouse held on 29 January 2020.
Some of the areas the presentation addressed, were:
- Domestic Politics: President Buhari and the succession
- Changing balance of power in the National Assembly and the 36 state governments
- The Niger Delta: militant factions are regrouping
- ISWAP, Boko Haram and regional insurgent groups
- Herder-Farmer clashes
- Effects of conflict in western Cameroon
- Criminalisation and sector reforms
- Oil & Gas Sector: reforms and restructuring; the Dangote refinery project
- Macro-Economy & Debt; the revenue crisis
Patrick Smith — the editor of Menas Associates’ Nigeria Focus; Africa Confidential; and Africa Report — lives in Paris and spends about half the year reporting from Africa. He has been one of the world’s leading experts on Nigeria for over 30 years and was based in West Africa as a correspondent for Associated Press and the BBC for a decade.
Stuart Culverhouse — is the Chief Economist and Global Head of Fixed Income Research at Tellimer. He joined the company (formerly known as Exotix) in 2006 after ten years in the UK Government Economic Service, where he worked in HM Treasury and the UK’s export credit agency. He is a recognised expert in developing markets and sovereign debt restructuring, with 20 years emerging markets’ experience, and his geographical coverage includes Latin America and the Caribbean, Sub Sahara Africa and Eastern Europe. He has an MSc in Economics from Southampton University and previously worked at Goldman Sachs (London).