This audio is from ‘Can Algeria’s new president fix the country’s political and economic crises?’ which was an hour long briefing by Prof. Jeremy Keenan held on 19 February 2020.
Some of the areas the presentation addressed, were:
- Can Tebboune resolve the political and/or economic crisis?
- How will he respond to weekly public protests — the Hirak — which have lasted a year
- Will he engage in dialogue and, if so, with whom?
- Will the Hirak weaken following escalating repression or intensify its determination to forge a ‘second republic’?
- The economy in 2020 as plans give way to ‘emergency measures’
- Will the scrapping of the 51%-49% investment rule entice foreign investors?
- Will the new Hydrocarbons Law resolve the sector’s many problems?
Prof. Jeremy Keenan — a recognised world expert on Algeria and the Sahara — began his studies in 1964 and has ten books and over 350 publications to his name. For over ten years he has been the author of Menas Associates’ Algeria Focus monthly and Algeria Politics & Security weekly reports. He also regularly briefs governments, multinational organisations and companies, and the international media on the region.