These audio and slides are from the basis of an hour-long briefing on 13 December 2017.
In particular the presentation addressed:
- Another year, another Korea crisis – but is this one more serious?
- The reasons behind North Korea’s unfaltering drive for WMD. Can this be curbed?
- Regime change, Pyongyang: how does Kim Jong-un differ from his father Kim Jong-il? Might events in Zimbabwe worry him?
- Regime change, Washington: can Trump succeed where his predecessors have failed?
- Despite North Korea’s economy growing faster than the South’s last year, might they feel the effects of the latest sanctions?
- Is there a military option? Would Trump really take that risk?
- Can fresh diplomacy resolve the crisis, and on what basis might dialogue resume?